A little advanced planning will make the challenge go smoothly.
- Set up computers and install the plug-in sent via Fedexon all of the PCs students will be using.
- Check the version of Internet Explorer (IE) that is installed on the PCs students will be using. The plug-in requires IE 6.0 or higher. If the computers have an older version of IE, install it at no-cost on each computer from this site:
- Complete the pre-challenge forms and questionnaire sent via email.
- Send email to Wes_Fleming@terc.edu with computer-related questions.
- Send email to Tara_Robillard@terc.edu with questions related to the pre-challenge forms and questionnaire.
- Review Step 4: Design Build and Test Ramps. The version of the Virtual Marble Roll is a prototype. Your suggestions will help the developers refine the challenge during the next stage of development. Therefore, it is important that you preview Step 4 and plan how you will implement it before having students do it. The simulation does not include a Pause, Back, and Next feature. Therefore, you might have students explore release points, ramp surfaces and textures on one day, different settings on another, and complete their work on a third day. On the fourth day, you might have them do Step 5: Virtual Marble Roll Day! and Step 6: Enter and Send Data. On the fifth day, you might have them do Step 7: Analyze Data.